Monday 4 June 2007

Learning a strong pigment...

This little painting of Tishke is oil on canvas about 20 X 30 cms and is one of the first of my so-called "yellow series", started last year . Since I left Cyprus in 2005 I have gone all Van Gogh sunflower yellow. In Nicosia I used dark reds and flesh and neutral colours mainly.... You can only understand what you do in retrospect. It seems clear to me now I was trying to import - as an antidote to all that Benelux grey - the bright Mediterranean colours I was missing. When I was there I did not want to reflect them. Nor the minarets, palm trees and bouganvillia. Now I am here the windmills, canals, cows and rain-soaked cobbles are absent... as are the soft dissolving pinky greys and the slate colours of the North Sea. Place seems to register in my work as something to deny or escape. Anyway, the sketch of Tishke was a good way to escape. I am lurking reflected in the background....

a bientot
Jane

2 comments:

alberto valentini said...

This is a beauty! As I know the model, amazing that you capture her in such a vague manner. This yellow series is impressive. Wish you'd go back to it someday. The attached commentaries are vbery interesting. WHAT AN ARTIST YOU ARE. You are right up there, among the greatest of them.

Anonymous said...

This is amazing - I'm so happy I found your work to look at.I recently accomplished a piece entitled - Angel in Yellow with Sunflowers.It's a favorite of my own works.I love Van Gogh.